EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE
Here is a basic recipe for a simple and delicious Shepherd's Pie (sometimes
known as "cottage pie"). You can embellish by adding vegetables
like corn or carrots. Another variation I've seen is with a teaspoon of Worcestershire
sauce added to the meat for flavor. A good dish with which to experiment.
1 1/1 lbs ground round beef
1 onion chopped
1 can corn
1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones)
8 Tablespoons butter (1 stick)
Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
1. Melt 4 Tablespoons butter in large frying pan
2. Saute onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins)
3. Add ground round and saute until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
4. Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).
5. Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.
6. Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.
7. Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary.