MEAT LOAF & TOASTED SCALLION MASHED POTATOES
The Meat Loaf
1 1/2 pounds lean ground pork
1 1/2 pounds ground veal
3 large eggs
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 cups corn kernels, drained
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup steak sauce of choice
Salt and pepper to taste
The Mashed potatoes
5 large baking potatoes
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup fresh scallions, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and white pepper to taste
The Meat Loaf
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Have all ingredients at room temperature and mix together well.
3. Form a loaf on a greased and sided baking pan.
4. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven until cooked through, about 2 hours. Test with meat thermometer if there is any question as to doneness. This makes a generous loaf. It is excellent cold, sliced, and made into sandwiches the next day.
The Toasted Scallion Mashed Potatoes
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into large chunks. Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender and easily pierced with the tip of a knife. Drain.
2. Heat the butter in a saute pan over medium-high heat and stir in the scallions. Sauté the scallions until toasted.
3. With an electric beater, beat the butter and scallions into the potatoes and continue to beat, while adding cream in a stream. Season with salt and pepper and whip until smooth and fluffy. Potato recipe can be placed in a casserole and kept covered in a warm oven until ready to serve.